Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Metal Lunch Box and Computer Down Time

Yesterday my computer got an awful virus that had me down for hours. Thank goodness my husband has me up and running again today! One of my goals in scrapbooking this year, is to catch up on OLD pictures. I have tons of pictures from when my kids are little that still need done, too, and I'm working on that as I go. But I'm talking about pictures from when I was a little girl back to even some from when my mom was a little girl. My mom has an old metal lunch box that houses a lot of these old pictures. A few years ago, my dear sweet husband scanned them all in. A good quarter of them were so dark, I teased him for wasting his time scanning them in. I didn't know the joys of photoshop then. Now, I'm still no photoshop expert, so I haven't gotten any of the photos looking like a pro has been working with them. But I've been able to get a lot of them in a condition I can use them on scrapbook pages. For this page I used last week's scrapbook sketch at Inspired Crafters. To see the sketch, you can click here.



One of my favorite things about doing my scrapbooking digitally, is how easy it is to change things around. I did the first layout, had it totally finished, and loved it. But then when I looked at it again (after being away working on a different project), I worried it was too dark and drab. So I changed the main background paper and the color of the flowers. I still like both and my husband prefers the darker one. Since it's for my mom, I guess I will let her have the final say!

12 comments:

Amy said...

WOW! They're both divine, but I slightly prefer the more colorful one!

Michelle said...

Man, your brothers were toeheads! Where's your blonde, girl? I love the first one...it has that aged, antiqued look. I love that MOTHER font - used to use it on tags all the time...and the text strips are a great idea.

Angela said...

I think they are both beautiful, but my favorite is the sepia one. What a great keepsake!

Banu said...

WOW, both are beautiful. But I liked the First one...Awesome Layouts..

Leigh Ann Baird said...

I love your digi layouts! I too am a digi scrapper but haven't done it in awhile. It's so easy to change things around, change the picture size, etc. when scrapping digitally. I have not had any of my layout printed yet. Have you?

Susan Raihala said...

I like them both for totally different reasons and think you are very wise to leave the final decision up to your mom. Mother always knows best!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

How terrific that you are going waaay back to scrap the photos. I couldn't expand the photos to read the journaling but I like how you did it in strips. Are you the baby in the photo? I like both color versions but I actually prefer the tan one better. It isn't dull at all. It's warm and aged and homey.

Chris said...

i love this, both of them!! i don't think the first one is dark at all...it looks very antique. you are lucky to have these photos!!

Unknown said...

I have to agree with everyone, the first one has that antique look to it that just fits with the picture! You are doing wonderful with this digital stuff!

laurie said...

I like the first one too...I like the antique look!

Alyssa S said...

Wow! These are gorgeous! I have some photos of my grandparents when they were in their 20's that I've scanned. So fun! One of my resolutions for 2010 is to learn how to digi scrap.
K, so I love the tan one, but I think if you kind of combined the two you might like it better. Maybe make the flowers on the sepia/tan one the pretty purple color. ??? Now that I'm trying to decide on one instead of the other I can't! They're both great!

Alyssa S said...

Wow! These are gorgeous! I have some photos of my grandparents when they were in their 20's that I've scanned. So fun! One of my resolutions for 2010 is to learn how to digi scrap.
K, so I love the tan one, but I think if you kind of combined the two you might like it better. Maybe make the flowers on the sepia/tan one the pretty purple color. ??? Now that I'm trying to decide on one instead of the other I can't! They're both great!