Thursday, November 19, 2009

A notebook and Cinnamon Swirled Apple Bread


Maybe you've noticed lots of cool notebooks popping up in blog-land. Papertrey Ink has a great set to make these little notebooks, and while that set is on my "someday" list, I don't have it yet. But when I saw this great notebook made by Betsy Veldman, I knew I had to make a notebook for my daughter. Well, my next problem, besides not having that stamp set, is that I can't sew. Not at all. It is not on my list of skills. So, I used my digital scrapbooking supplies to get as close as I'm going to get to real stitching. My daughter loved the notebook, and so I considered it a success.

I also have a quick recipe card to share with you today. I love this cinnamon swirled apple bread. I made some for a friend from church the other day, and she requested the recipe. I made a quick recipe card for her. The recipe and instructions are quite long, so it didn't leave much room for any added pizazz. But I like that the background paper makes me think of cinnamon! Also, my recipe is changed somewhat from the original. The original calls for apples not applesauce. When I'm in the mood to make this, I never seem to have apples, so I fiddled to see how I could make it with applesauce instead, which I always have on hand. And the original recipe called for walnuts or pecans, which people in our house are allergic to. So if you'd like the original recipe, visit the link above. I always mix this in my kitchenaid mixer, and it goes together quickly. Even though the instructions are long, it's not a complicated bread to make. If you make it, I hope you like it as much as we do!

8 comments:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Gorgeous notebook! I have the Take Note set and love it. You did a great job on this!

Unknown said...

I love that notebook, you did a great job on it. I have tried to make one as well, but mine was a little less than stellar. :)

Michelle said...

Look at you - you win an award and now you got a new header...you're posting a book and a recipe; you go, girl! Love the book - think I told you that before. And I totally taught myself how to sew on a Pixie - - it was like $25. The easiest and coolest thing I ever did. If you can make all those template things from the now-retired from PTI Lauren Meader, you can sew - - - so put it on the list. Make it your New Year's Resolution!

JazzyH said...

Pretty!

Chris said...

great notebook, i love to make these things!! the recipe sounds really good...TFS!

laurie said...

Super notebook! They look like fun to make and would make nice stocking stuffers.

Kerri said...

I just love your notebook, Rebecca! The digital sewing looks so real! Your recipe sounds so yummy too : ) I just love the different flavored breads this time of year!!!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

I thought your first project was a very fancy bookmark because of the long, narrow shape. How fun that it's a notebook and that you came up with a creative solution for your stitching.

I like how you superimposed the words on the title of your recipe card.